Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Return to Moab


After a visit to Capitol Reef National Park and a short stopover in a little town off Interstate 70, I came back to Moab to relax before heading to Albuquerque, New Mexico to meet up with a few other solo women RVers and to see the Balloon Fiesta. That should be a fun get together and a colorful display of balloons rising slowly in the early morning.

Moab had been having a music festival here the past week, and I wanted to miss those crowds. Also, I knew there wouldn't be any reasonably priced place to stay during that time. So, after I knew it was all over, I drove down one overcast, drippy morning. My first choice for camping was the BLM camp I stayed at last time - Goose Island. When I drove up, it looked pretty well inhabited, so I was extremely happy to find a spot that backed up to the river and I'd have the huge rock wall across the river as my view.

I find it extremely interesting that these spots all seem to be pretty much level. Both of the ones I've been in were totally level, all the way around - and it's just gravel and sand. I've been in paved RV Parks where sites are so off level, you need to drive up on blocks just to feel comfortable inside. Nothing makes me more irritated than to pay sometimes over $30 for one night and have to do all that extra work to get it level. And some of the cheaper parks have very level sites - go figure. In contrast, most of the boondocking sites I've been at are almost perfectly level, or close enough. One more reason for boondocking!! RV Parks - pay attention!

Boondocking doesn't always mean free, although those are the best, but it always means no hookups.  On BLM land and in some of the National Forest land, there are fees if there are improvements such as dumpsters, fire rings, picnic tables, etc.  However, they usually are at minimal costs compared to commercial campgrounds.  Fees range anywhere from $5 to $20.

As I was sitting, staring at the rock wall yesterday evening, I took a couple shots of portions of the wall - small portions, considering the size of the entire wall. This area has an arch-shaped portion that has fallen down into the river.

 

Another shot shows a tiny alcove that plant life has been able to grow and receive enough rainwater to thrive.


At the top, it looks like there was a huge chunk that has fallen off, and other giant chunks that are cracked and may or may not fall off in the future.


The dark portions of rock is called desert varnish.  It's from the weather, rain, and deposits of iron and manganese.  It's usually where the pueblo people carved their petroglyphs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment